Saturday, May 06, 2006

Floods are finished!

Cyclone Monica hit here on the 24th of April and we have been cut off from Darwin until today, the 6th of May. It was possible to get in via the Pine Creek route but that added an extra 200 kilometers to the trip, making it a total of 450 kilometers one way! The big Red dog was bitten by an evil spider or fire ant and I thought I was going to have to take him in to the vet, but thank goodness he came around and is fine now. Anyhow at one point the water was almost 2 meters over the road at the Adelaide River Bridge, that is a lot of water!!! It is too far to go just to take pictures so I don't have any of my own but a friend in Darwin is hopefully going to be sending me some and I will post them when I get them. This picture was taken April 30. The spots are raindrops on the lense and the colors are absolutely amazing, I swear I didn't touch this photo at all, no filters, this is the way the sky looked!




The dry officially starts on May 1st and honestly the weather did change exactly on that day. We went from the post cyclone clouds and rain and humidity to perfect temps, no humidity and cloudless blue skies, it is spectacular! I am going into Darwin for a day or so on Monday but as soon as I get back, the top is coming off the jeep and will stay off until next December when the wet starts again.

Now the burning starts again and it will be serious burning this year because of all the trees downed by the cyclone. It is hard to believe that it is dry enough to burn but it obviously is, as you can see from the pics. The white spots on this one are the Corellas, who are foraging for insects and seeds after the burn. Another unbelievable sunset too!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home