Tuesday, April 04, 2006

1 Year in the Tropics

Annual Report

Well it is now just over one year that I have been living in the tropics. Here is what I have to report:

I have not worn long pants once during that year.
I have not worn a jumper or sweater once during that year.
I have had no occasion to wear any clothing more formal than shorts during that year.
I have not closed any windows in our almost all glass house during that year.
I have seen the land grow spear grass to heights of 8 feet high and watched it get brown and die then fall beneath the pounding of the "knock 'em down" rains all in the space of a few weeks.
I have seen the fires of the big burns and had them almost envelop me from both sides of the road as I drove home from Darwin in the night.
I have seen the earth get so dry and cracked you would bet that nothing could ever live there again.
I have seen the rains come and cover that dry earth with a couple of meters of water in the flood plains and in the bush encourage the growth of foliage with so many shades of green it makes my senses reel.
I have driven through creeks where the water almost came in the doors of the jeep.
I have seen huge crocs, snakes, lizards, amazing birds, etc. in their natural habitat.
I have floated on boats through tree tops.
I have caught fish over100cm long!!!
I was talking to a lady in the Jabiru Plaza and watched a wallaby baby poke its head out of her pocketbook.
And I have come to know and respect the culture of a mob of people I would never have known had I not moved here and fall in love with the crazy kids too.

I could go on and on because so many unexpected and beautiful and amazing things have happened in this year, instead I will just add an assortment of photos I have taken over the year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home